Sunday, August 16, 2009

Trek - An Experience To Treasure


They, the builders of the nation,
Blazing trails along the way;
Stepping-stones for generations
Were their deeds of ev'ry day
Building new and firm foundations.
Pushing on the wild frontier,
Forging onward, ever onward,
Blessed, honored Pioneer!


Service ever was their watchcry;
Love became their guiding star;
Courage, their unfailing beacon,
Radiating near and far
Ev'ry day some burden lifted,
Ev'ry day some heart to cheer,
Ev'ry day some hope the brighter,
Blessed, honored Pioneer!


As an ensign to the nation,
They unfurled the flag of truth,
Pillar, guide and inspiration
To the hosts of waiting youth
Honor, praise, and veneration
To the founders we revere!
List our song of adoration
Blessed, honored Pioneer!




It was our honor to participate in the Pioneer Trek that our Stake organized for the youth in our area. Basically, it is a pioneer reenactment. A call was extended to me over a year ago to serve as the Clothing Committee Head. What a joy it has been to serve in that capacity and to work with such great people. My specific duties involved choosing what projects the youth would have to work on, supplying patterns to all the wards, and organizing sewing activities so that everyone could achieve an authentic pioneer look. It was truly rewarding to see everyone in their costumes. I believe the costumes really enhanced our Trek experience and helped everyone identify with the pioneers.

Jason was asked to be a Company Captain. That meant that he was there to help 4 of the 18 families with any emergencies or anything that they might need. We were able to trek all 25 miles with our 4 families and it was great to get to know them.

I'm really at a loss as to how to explain the experience we had there. The Spirit was sweet and strong. Before Trek, I had a respect for the pioneers and the struggles they had. I was truly grateful for the sacrifices made by them that we benefit so greatly from. However, now I find that I have a new reverence for the pioneers. We trekked 25 (sometimes grueling) miles over the course of 4 days. They trekked 1100 torturous miles, sometime walking up to 18 miles per day. We trekked in summer. Many of their journeys lasted well into winter. We had nice, comfortable shoes. Many of them ended up with their feet wrapped in burlap because their shoes were worn through. We ate extremely well. By the time they reached Ft. Laramie, they were allotted less that 1 cup of flour per day which they mixed with a little bit of water. Everything we own was waiting for us when we returned home. The pioneers were allowed to bring only 17 pounds of their belongings with them. We all survived, most of us with minor blisters. Countless pioneers buried their loved ones along the way. I recently heard a story of a pioneer mother who buried each of her 5 children during her journey West..digging their graves with her only possession - a tablespoon. I never want to know what that would be like.

My favorite scriptures are found in the 26th chapter of Alma. They seem to express my feelings in so many situations. These few verses definitely apply to my feelings about Trek: "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever...Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?..Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel...Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people...I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land."

11 comments:

Turnbow Family said...

Thank you.

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you got to go, and that it was a great experience for you!! I can't wait to hear more details!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beck!
I think that you are the pioneer yourself. I couldn't wait to see what you had written about your experience. I think that you should write a book.
Shelley

Heather said...

Nice post Becky! Sounds like a wonderful experience. And before I read your post, I was looking at the pictures thinking "Those are some great outfits. I wonder how they all got their clothes." Nice work!

Nicole said...

That was so awesome I am so jealous I did Trek as a youth and it was such an incredible experience! I would love to go again some day! Thanks for sharing! Great job on the costumes you did great!

Christenson's said...

Becky I am so glad you decided to go, kind of wish I had gone too, but.... anyway thanks for sharing that was a great post!! I have seen hours of video footage and it is amazing!!

the Wilcox Family said...

Very cool experience . . . . one I haven't done yet, but hope to!

Cedar said...

Wow, I have tears and the chills! Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and your testimony! What an amazing experience!

Anonymous said...

Becky, just seeing someone I know trekking made me tear up- that picture of Michaela with the handcart is amazing! I am sure the youth are as changed by the experience as you are. Thanks for the post- want more pictures!
Love,
Stacy

Carlye Momma said...

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You are definitely a pioneer yourself and I agree 100% with your friend that you need to write a book. You are SUCH a talented writer!

Lucrecia said...

What a truly amazing experience! I respect you all the more for really doing it!