Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Piano Recital 2009

This year I decided to have our annual Christmas recital at a nursing home. I absolutely loved having it there. It turned out to be a great recital and a really neat experience. It was a fun opportunity for the kids to be able to do some service and share their talents with the patients there. They were so appreciative that we would come and entertain them.

All of my students performed exceptionally well. Yes, there were some mistakes, but if you have never played piano in front of an audience, you don't understand how difficult it really is. I always tell my students that I don't expect perfection. I don't think it's right to put that pressure on them. Plus, I think the fear of making mistakes is what keeps people from sharing their talents with others. At the end of the day, you just need to do your best. There has never been a time when I've played in church or in front of an audience that I haven't made some huge mistake. The important thing is to JUST KEEP GOING. Nine times out of ten, the audience doesn't even know that you made a mistake. Great job, guys!

Back row: Chloe, Me, Hayden, Tim & Jaden
Front row: Cassidy, Olivia, Makayla, Brackon, Myah & Elsie

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks, it was a great evening! You're the best. Mak loves her book! I am still waiting for some pictures:)

Heidi said...

I'm so glad that it worked out that you were able to have your recital there! I bet the people at the nursing home loved having you all come there!

the Wilcox Family said...

I can see you being the ultimate in piano teachers. Maybe I'll send Olivia to you. Long distances--no problem! Totally worth it!

Carlye Momma said...

Thanks again for being such a rockin teacher! Brackon really does enjoy coming to you. That was a great idea to have it there. I love what you've said about making mistakes...that is seriously SO true about people not wanting to perform because they're scared of mistakes...that was me all the time growing up. thanks for setting such a great example to the kids and to me. Love ya babe!

Christenson's said...

Yes Becky great job!! I loved it there as well and you do a great job putting up with my kids and our lack of responsiblity!!! Thanks for being such a great teacher and thanks for the books!!

K wierd thing is my word to type to post this comment is leering...? trying to figure what that would be you know like Jasoning....

Heather said...

What a fantastic idea! Nice work!