Thursday, October 23, 2008

Grandpa Great



Last Saturday we went to visit Leer's Grandpa(Chloe & Myah's Great Grandpa). We LOVE him. You would too if you knew him. For your reading enjoyment, (and for my posterity) allow me to share some of my favorite things about him along with some pictures we took while we were there.

My favorite thing about him is his house and barns. Everything he has is old. He has several barns and garages that are filled with old farm tools, old military uniforms, old bicycles, old furniture, old soda bottles, old rollerskates, old typewriters, old toys and games, old books...really anything you could possible think of, but old. It's like taking a step back in time. However, he always has a NEW, fancy truck.









No, actually my favorite thing about him is that the Gospel is an essential part of his life. The scriptures are always sitting on the table next to his recliner. He is always willing to serve. He served as the bishop in their ward for over 6 years, and has also been a counselor in the bishopric and a High Councilman. He was instrumental in helping to get the Stake Center built in their small town.

Or maybe my favorite thing about him is that he's a really good grandpa and I feel like he's my OWN grandpa. (I didn't really ever get to know my own grandparents very well considering I was the very last grandchild born on both sides of my family. My grandparents have all passed on.) He's always been kind to me and is always genuinely interested in what we're doing. He is sharp and keeps up on current events like politics, the economy, cars, and of course, BYU football and the Utah Jazz. When you visit with him, it's like talking to someone who's your own age, not someone who has lived 83 years. He remembers to send birthday and Christmas cards to Jason. He will sit patiently and listen while Myah shows him how she can count to 100. He is never grumpy.



No, my favorite thing about him has to be that he's a REAL cowboy. Picture the Marlboro man, without the coffee, cigarettes and alcohol. He has owned and maintained a 250 acre cattle ranch all his life and still does this back-breaking work EVERYDAY (remember he's 83). He was raised on this farm and bought it from his dad and this is how he supported his family. This is the only life he's ever known and he loves it.






Well, my favorite thing about him could be that he's popular. He has lots of friends. You would want him to be your friend too. He's always telling stories about his friends and you can tell he truly enjoys their companionship. And I love that his friends all have "cowboy" names like: Jarvis, Garn, LeRoy, etc. He is the one that they call when they need something like a ride to Priesthood or to know how to program their cable box. He is a loyal and reliable friend.

No, this is my favorite thing about him: his name is Grover. Yes. I said Grover. Grover Childs. It's awesome! We call him Grandpa Great. And he is GREAT!

Truly, my most favorite thing about him is the example he is to us. He lovingly took care of his wife who suffered from Parkinson's Disease for over 35 years. He never complained about having to take care of her and you could tell how much he truly loved her. She passed away a few years ago and he misses her terribly.

We need to be better about visiting him more often.


Me and Myah.


Me and Chloe.

Ryan and the girls on the 4wheeler.

Jason and his brother Ryan. He's single, ladies. Not Jason...Ryan.

I've been known to shoot guns on occasion when we've visited the farm. Turns out I have pretty good aim. Just puttin' it out there.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Awh that was sweet! Funny because that is what my kids call my Grandma Fenn "Grandma Great"! Except for Chase who thought it was "Grandma Gray" :) I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise! That was a darling tribute to your Grandpa. I really like the picture of his sagging britches (or breeches) Sounds like a great man that Grandpa Great!

Tammy's Blog said...

Look at you! You gun toating gal. Grandpa sounds really cool. Makes me wish I had a grandpa. Family...Amazing.

LOL
TT

Christenson's said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christenson's said...

Becky, That grandpa is so dang cute!! I love old people. I too love the sagging britches.... You take such great pictures, do you have a program that shades the edges? It makes it look even better you really have a talent for catching life, the way they are walking with their grandpa, looking down etc, it tells a story instead of just posed shots I'm really impressed!!

Amber said...

So cute Becky! He looks like the perfect grandpa!!! Nice aim! Remind me not to mess with you!