Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I See Dead People

We recently went to see the Body Worlds exhibit that's in town right now at The Leonardo. For those who don't know, there are people who donate their bodies to be used in this travelling exhibit. The process they use to preserve the bodies is called plastination. You are literally looking at dead people. Sounds kind of gruesome, I know, but it was awesome. It was so interesting to see the inner workings of the human body. Such intricacy! While the exhibit is purely scientific in nature, on a spiritual level it reconfirmed for me what I already know - that we are products of a Divine Creator. Our bodies are amazing and each and every blood vessel, muscle, tendon, nerve, and organ was placed precisely where it is and functions as it does because that is how God intended it to be.

President Hinckley said:

"I have in my home a reasonably good sound system. I do not use it frequently, but now and again, I sit quietly in the semidarkness and listen for an hour or so to music that has endured through the centuries because of its remarkable qualities. I listened the other evening to Beethoven’s Concerto for the Violin and marveled that such a thing could come of the mind of a man. The composer, I suppose, was very much like the rest of us. I do not know how tall he was or how broad he was or how much he weighed. I assume that he got hungry, felt pain, and had most of the problems that we all have, and maybe some that we do not have. But out of the genius of that mind came a tremendous blending to create rare and magnificent masterpieces of music.
Have you ever contemplated the wonder of yourself, the eyes with which you see, the ears with which you hear, the voice with which you speak? No camera ever built can compare with the human eye. No method of communication ever devised can compare with the voice and the ear. No pump ever built will run as long or as efficiently as the human heart. What a remarkable thing each of us is.
Look at your finger. The most skillful attempt to reproduce it mechanically has brought only a crude approximation. The next time you use your finger, look at it, and sense the wonder of it. While sitting in Symphony Hall listening to a concert, I was in a position to see the fingers of the performers in the orchestra. Every one, whether playing the strings, the percussion instruments, the brass, the woodwinds—all used their fingers. One does not have to use one’s fingers to sing or whistle, but beyond that, there would be little of musical harmony without the deft action of trained fingers.
I believe the human body to be the creation of Divinity. George Gallup once observed, “I could prove God statistically. Take the human body alone—the chance that all the functions of the individual would just happen is a statistical monstrosity.” Our bodies were designed by our Eternal Father to be the tabernacle of our eternal spirits."


Here are some examples of what you see there:






Go check out this exhibit while it's here. Caution: Not for the faint of heart.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That's Crazy! I think I will have to drive to Utah to check it out! Loved the quote by Gordon! I have never understood how people can believe that we evolved from a monkey! sheesh! The human body is an amazing thing, I have thought of this a lot with Milton and his surgery, how it all has to function properly together to work. It truly is amazing!!!

Nicole said...

I saw this in the paper and I will admit at first I thought weird, but then the Humanities side of me said I want to see that. I really think it is amazing I hope to make it up there.

Carlye Momma said...

EEEEEWWWW!!! I don't think my tummy could handle that...I'll be honest...just looking at those pictures made me puke a bit in my mouth.

I appreciate the quote from President Hinkley...and your words as well. I'm always in awe about EVERYTHING He has created. I can't even wrap my mind around it...(again back to the question of if I really have a brain or not.)

LOVE YOU!!!