Sunday, September 14, 2008

Remembering








September 11, 2001, was one of those days in history where everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when the attacks happened. I remember I had just gone jogging, came back to my apartment and turned on the news (just like every other day) and was absolutely horrified at what I was seeing. I watched the first tower fall and was talking on the phone to Leer when the second tower fell. I have never felt so shocked and helpless. I just sat there and sobbed. Those images are forever ingrained in my memory. I think maybe the next day was even worse though when I woke up and realized it wasn't some horrible nightmare. Plus, that's when the media started playing all the recorded messages that the victims had left for their families and loved ones. I didn't personally know anyone, even remotely, who died that day, but I sure felt an overwhelming sadness for all those who were directly affected by the attack. I still feel sad for them. That is why I go to the Healing Fields every year. Myah and I took my parents over there this year to look at all the flags. Each flag represents either someone who was killed on 9/11 or a soldier that has been killed fighting in The War on Terror. There are thousands of flags. I think Myah said it best. When we turned the corner and she saw all the flags, she said, "Mom, there's too many flags". I wish there were no flags to go look at but as long as there are, I will go and walk around with a lump in my throat, trying to hold back the tears. I don't want the soldiers who have died for America, or those who were killed on 9/11 to be forgotten. I will never forget.

2 comments:

Carlye Momma said...

I agree with you honey...I wish there were no flags to see as well. We will definitely never forget and thank you for this beautiful post.

Nicole said...

I can completely remember where I was too on 9-11 that day will forever be in my mind too. I will never forget it.